Roberto López-Valcarce received the Telecommunication Engineer degree from the University of Vigo, Vigo, Spain, in 1995, the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of Iowa, Iowa, USA, in 1998 and 2000 respectively, and the Ph.D. degree in Telecommunication Engineering from the University of Vigo in 2001.
Roberto is currently an Associate Professor at the Department of Signal Theory & Communications at University of Vigo. From 2001 to 2006 he was an Associate Researcher at the same department, supported by a postdoctoral contract from the Ramón y Cajal Program of the Spanish Ministry of Science. During 1995 he was with Intelsis Sistemas Inteligentes SA in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, where he was involved in the deployment of analog TV networks. He has co-authored over 60 papers in leading international journals and more than 90 contributions published in various conference proceedings. He has been principal investigator of a number of research projects and contracts with industry, and holds several international patents.
Roberto is a member of the IEEE and served as a member of the Signal Processing for Communication and Networking (SPCOM) Technical Committee of the IEEE Signal Processing Society during 2011-2013. He was Manager of the ICT Program for R&D of the Galician regional government during 2010-2013. He served as Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing during 2007-2011, and currently is a Subject Editor for Elsevier Signal Processing journal.
Roberto's research interests cover multiple areas of application of signal processing, including sensor networks, adaptive filtering, digital communications, spectrum sensing, etc.
2005 Best Paper Award of the IEEE Signal Processing Society (Signal Processing for Communications and Networking), for the article entitled “Realizable Linear and Decision Feedback Equalizers: Properties and Connections,” published in the IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, vol. 52 no. 3, pp. 757-773, March 2004
2007 Young Researcher Award from the Galician Regional Government
- University of Iowa, Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering, 1996-2000. Sponsored by Fundación Pedro Barrié de la Maza.
- Daniel Romero González: Estimation, detection, and learning for dynamic spectrum access, May 2015. Currently at University of Agder (Norway).
- Gonzalo Vázquez Vilar: Interference and network management in cognitive communication systems (co-supervised with Carlos Mosquera), June 2011. Currently at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Marcos Álvarez Díaz: Design of nonlinear precoding and estimation schemes for advanced communication systems (co-supervised with Carlos Mosquera), July 2010. Currently at Gradiant.
- Emilio Antonio Rodríguez: Self-interference mitigation in Full-Duplex relays: Blind adaptive techniques and optimal linear filter design (co-supervised with Risto Wichman and Stefan Werner), March 2018. Currently at Aalto University (Finland).
- Damián González Figueroa (in progress). Topic: Synthesis of multiaxis stationary non-Gaussian shaped vibration signals.
- Khawar Hussain (in progress). Topic: Spectrum shaping techniques for advanced multicarrier communication systems.
GPSC was a participant in the Consolider-Ingenio 2010 project Foundations and Methodologies for Future Communication and Sensor Networks - COMONSENS, which lives on through the Network of Excellence "Red COMONSENS".
- Office Hours, Spring 2017: Monday/Tuesday/Thursday 15-17h
- A link to the online book Comunicaciones Digitales (in Spanish)
- Looking for Masters' and Ph.D. students (must have a solid background in Signal Processing and Communications). Men and Women are all welcome.